Monday, November 8, 2010

Scale Scare

Alright. I titled this blog, "Scale Scare" because I have been avoiding the scale like the plague. It has been obvious to me that my pants have been getting tighter and I have had little to no energy the past month. I have been in denial that I have been gaining back the weight that I worked so hard to lose. 

I have shared my weight struggle and story to many people, but not everyone, so here it is in a nutshell. I have always had a little more curve than I've wanted. It is tough when you are a shorty....every little pound shows so much more when you don't have the height to balance it out.  In 2007 I reached the max weight I had ever been. 190+ lbs on my short little 5'2" frame had me feeling like I was helpless. I didn't know what to do. Instead of resigning myself to an unhealthy lifestyle, I decided to make a change and that this time it was going to be a "Lifestyle Change" not a "Diet".  I am addicted to food. I love it and eat just to eat...it tastes sooooo good and often find myself eating even when I am not hungry. It is a habit I needed to recover from.

I started off with the goal to take baby steps. #1: stop drinking soda. (I was drinking at the minimum 3 giant pepsi's per day). #2: move more (take the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator; park further away in a parking lot, etc.). #3: cut out the drive-thru.  I started seeing some pretty decent results but wanted more accountability. I had a problem eating enough once I started making these changes and that was slowing the process.  

In July of 2008 my friend Jennie and I decided we were going to join "Weight Watchers". This was an amazing choice. At my first weigh in I was176.6 lbs.  The healthy weight range for my height is: 117-141 lbs. That seemed an impossible goal to reach. My mentality has always been the mentality of the Hare in the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. Speed through and meet my goal!!  Jennie helped me realize that slow and steady really does win the race. I started chipping away at the weight, ounces at a time. Each week weighing in and losing a little bit at a time.  5 months later I reached and exceeded my 10% goal with a loss of 20.6 lbs. Fast forward and my last weigh in at Weight Watchers was down 46.4 lbs. I was looking good and more importantly feeling healthier.  Now it has been 1 year from my last weigh in and I am back to the weight that I was at in February of 2009. I have gained back almost 20 lbs. It is time to refocus and get back into a healthier state of mind. 

I am pledging to start being more conscious of my health. Baby steps begin again today. I will be blogging to help me get through this chapter of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Connie, you inspired me with your first weight loss journey and you ispire me again with your blog. I know you will reach your goal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie Con-con... blogging helps keep you accountable. This way people will begin asking you what's going on when you don't post... I'm looking forward to your progress.

    If you need some added inspiration, follow my blog! We can keep each other accountable! ;)

    http://nikkisrunningspirit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete